Friday, July 9, 2010

Are You Watching? Bethenny Getting Married

 I have written before of my  shameful addiction to the Real Housewives series on Bravo.  Finally, I feel like I don’t need to be ashamed.  Bethenny Getting Married  is smart, funny, touching and doesn’t make me feel dirty.
Bethenny Frankel is a natural foods chef, author and inventor of the SkinnyGirl margarita. She is also hilarious. Bethenny Getting Married follows her through her last months of pregnancy as she manages her blossoming career and plans her dream wedding.

The series is so compelling because it is so real. I don’t ever feel like I am watching the “tv version” of her life. She is honest and to the point. She can come off harsh, but because of we get to see it all, we also see her softer, kinder, and even silly side.

A couple examples:

She and her fiancé debate whether or not they are “napkin ring” people while registering for wedding gifts. My husband and I had a very similar discussion about the obscene number of serving platters we included in the registry – even though we have never had more than 4 other people at our house at any given time. But we are ready for a dinner of 20!

She is a control freak that gives her wedding planner such a hard time, we can actually see years of his life disappearing right in front of our eyes. Her dog bites everyone that comes to the house. She can’t find clothes that fit. She has the wedding planning nervous breakdowns that all of us who have been planning a big wedding can relate to. I think I even had post-traumatic flashbacks. During the course of one episode, she can make me laugh out loud with a snarky comment or a joke at her own expense and then bring tears ot my eyes as she gets emotional.

I highly recommend checking it out – especially if you haven’t watched any of the other Real Housewives shows. This one stands out all on its own.

2 comments:

  1. I like this show too! All the good parts of RHofNY without all the high school drama. Not to mention she's been through so much and I was always "rooting" for her...makes me so happy to see her do so well and acheive all these dreams! Not to mention she's blunt and hilarious. She really says it like she means it and doesn't apologize. Most of us couldn't get away with that in real life, but it's nice to watch someone who can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angie. I love your blog. I have you in my google reader so I make sure not to miss your posts. You are as funny in black and white as you are in Berry's drinking wine :o)
    Couldn't agree with you more. I am totally addicted to Bravo, especially to Bethanny Getting Married. The wedding episode this week had me crying like a baby. And the peeing in the bucket had me rolling with laughter.
    Awesome show!

    ReplyDelete