Monday, July 26, 2010

Whatcha Reading? Skinnygirl Dish by Bethenny Frankel

The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life

I  didn't know what to expect from The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life.  Bethenny's previous book: Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting,  was filled with recipes and guidelines on how to have a healthier relationship with food so I wasn't sure what else Skinnygirl Dish could offer.

Boy was I surprised. Skinnygirl Dish is the book I have been looking for all my life. It focuses on how to cook - not just on recipes. My favorite chapter is where she breaks down all the foods that can substitute for each other. Out of eggs, but really want to make those chocolate brownies? Use mashed bananas instead. Sauce too salty and not sure what to do? Add a little acid and a little sweet. A lot of these tips I have pieces together from watching cooking shows and reading magazines, but having it all in one place and covered in detail really is incredible. I have to warn you though, the writing in the first couple chapters is at times fluffy and a bit repetitive, but you have to push through and get to the good stuff.

This is a great book for someone trying to be a smarter grocery shopper as you tend to end up with what was on sale instead of what the recipe called for. It's also great for those with allergies or specific diets ie. no dairy, vegan, no eggs, etc. The list of substitutions for each recipe gives options that will accommodate everyone's dietary needs. The recipes I tried were very good and this is a good reference book. Plus it has a great index - one of the most important things in a cookbook in my opinion. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment