Friday, August 27, 2010

Are You Watching? Hoarding: Buried Alive


Season 2 of Hoarding Buried Alive on TLC rights many of the wrongs of Season One. The standard for a show on Hoarding is A&E’s Hoarding. However, I just can’t figure out if that show is continuing. There hasn’t been a new episode in a long time. In the meantime, TLC has tried to join the Hoarding Band Wagon. The first season was frustrating as the show focused too much on the problem and not as much on the solution. Several of the first season episodes ended with the hoarder in a room with a “professional organizer” going through a box at a time. It was so frustrating. While Season 2 seems to correct some of these frustrations, I still think there is too much time spent on the problem. We see the person go through the space, the children go through the space and then the therapist go through the space. At least with this season a team is involved so that by the end of the episode we at least begin to see some floor space if not an entirely cleaned abode.


I think A&E struck gold by highlighting the Hoarding issue because I believe that the majority of people hang on to useless things so therefore can relate minimally to the hoarder experience. I have a box of letters from my teen through college years. I don’t look through them but they have made every move and I just like knowing they are there. I hold onto projects that I may finish. I buy things on sale just because they are on sale which leads to bulging drawers and closets. This genre of tv really strikes home for me in ways that many other genres do not. TLC is starting to get the right balance. I just wish A&E would show up with longer seasons of Hoarding because TLC’s version just isn’t as satisfying.

1 comment:

  1. I agree there has been a change (for the good) between Season 1 and 2. I think they should try to include some followup shows to show the "aftercare" and whether it has helped. I know Hoarders did that for one episode.

    ReplyDelete