Thursday, November 11, 2010

Recipe: Savory Swiss Chard Muffins

These muffins are great use of CSA greens. They are savory and make a great complement to a bowl of soup on a good day. I found them at the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen website.  


Ingredients

3 cups Swiss Chard Green Leafs or Kale thinly sliced

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1 teaspoon Salt

½ teaspoons Curry Powder

1 cup Sour Cream (heaping Cup)

3 whole Large Eggs

1 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese (heaping)

½ cups Bread Crumbs

½ teaspoons Baking Powder

Preparation Instructions

1. In a glass bowl (or any other microwave safe dish), combine Swiss chard, olive oil, salt and curry. Microwave for 2 minutes, until the greens wilt a bit and smell nice. Drain excess liquid.

2. In a different bowl, combine sour cream, eggs, cheese, bread crumbs and baking powder. Mix well and add the cooked greens. Mix well.

3. Divide mixture between 9 (preferably silicone) muffin pan cups or individual baking cups (oil well or line with paper cups if you are not using silicone) and bake in a 350F (about 180 Celsius) for 35 minutes.

Serve at room temperature or cold from the fridge. These should come out moist and juicy, so don’t overcook them. Next time, I plan to get myself a mini muffin pan and make miniature appetizers.

3 comments:

  1. Love these and make them often. What a delicious way to get the greens in my diet.
    I use 4 eggs though to make it a bit more custard-ie. And I put in just a pinch of cayenne to spice it up a bit. Yummy..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these. I often use fresh spinach left over from my polenta pizza. I have used the kale also and like that very much. I also use 4 eggs and add some ground red chipotle seasoning to spice it up and it gives the muffins a smoky taste.
    I have some in the oven now......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still making these great egg muffins. Have added jalapenos and very small pieces of turkey sausage.

    ReplyDelete