Monday, August 30, 2010

Whatcha Reading? Not Ready for Mom Jeans and I was told there'd be cake


I picked up two more books that focus on short vignettes that pull together to tell a full story.

Not Ready for Mom Jeans


Not Ready for Mom Jeans by Maureen Lipinski
Not being a mom, I find it so interesting what “thing” women pick as a physical representation of losing themselves to motherhood. For some it is a minivan, for others – it is fashion. For Lipinski – it was “mom” jeans. Through this book, Lipinski struggles with her decision to go to work after the birth of her child. As I was reading this book, I thought of at least ten friends who are moms who could relate to many of her stories. I often laughed out loud.

I Was Told There'd Be Cake

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley 
My general reaction to this book was mediocre. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood or that I had read many novels in this genre of book that knocked it out of the park. It gives the feel of a girlfriend telling you funny stories over cocktails, but some of the stories just fell flat for me. The book has some bright spots. She opens with “I have given serious and generous thought to the state of my apartment should I get killed during the day.” I have had those thoughts – even going so far as to give my apartment one last fleeting glance through the eye of who ever would have to be the one to enter postmortem.

No comments:

Post a Comment