Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ask Angie: Giving Up Your Seat

Okay, so what is the modern rule on young amble bodied folks giving up seats on a mode of public transportation?

Pregnant lady – Get your ass up. Always. Even you are tired. And have packages. She is incubating a human. That is a lot harder.

Crutches, Canes, Children – UP! UP! UP! With crutches and canes, it is very difficult to maintain balance so likely this person is going to end up in your lap. With children, they are much harder to control while standing so they will end up touching you. Really – getting up is self-preservation.

The Elderly – This is where I feel things get dicey. I have gotten up before when a white-haired lady got on the bus. She looked at me like I was crazy. She huffed right past me and stood near the rear of the bus. I guess it was to prove a point that she wasn’t old. Since that moment, I have been a little gun shy about getting up for the “elderly”. Now, I definitely pause and see if the elderly people are searching for a seat. Then I will get up slightly and signal they can have my seat. If they agree, I get up. If they shake me off like a pitcher shaking off a change-up, I stay firmly in my seat.

As for the gentlemen should always get up for a lady rule – I think far too many women would take that as an insult and respond negatively. I think it is lovely and gracious. I think the gentlemen should offer. Most women would say no, but I still think it’s a nice thing to do.

What do you think? It’s 2010 – first come, first seated? Have you had any negative experiences trying to give up your seat?

1 comment:

  1. As a recently pregnant person, I agree with including pregnant women on this list. I also agree with the old-fashioned rule of gentlemen getting up for ladies (which also incorporates opening doors for women, letting women get in/out of elevators first, etc.). I don't think it's necessary, and I'm certainly capable of standing or holding my own door, but I find it's a nice courtesy. I'm not offended if someone does or doesn't do it, but I will definitely be teaching my son this old fashioned rule.

    ReplyDelete