Monday, June 21, 2010

Whatcha Reading? My Fair Lazy by Jen Lancaster

Lately, I have been on a “memoir” kick. The last few books I read were non-fiction and focused on a particular time in the author’s life – usually a one year project or significant event.  My Fair Lazy: One Reality Television Addict's Attempt to Discover If Not Being A Dumb Ass Is the New Black, or, a Culture-Up Manifesto definitely fits this mold.

This is Jen Lancaster's fifth book. Her books meet the definition of  memoir as they are non-fiction and tell the story of her life. But, I find them to be more like a good friend telling me a really funny story about something that happened to her. Her books have dealt with unemployment, city life, weight loss, clothing dilemmas and now – how to overcome a reality TV addiction.

Wow, I can relate. My television addiction is notorious. In fact, I surprise people with my inability to complete a conversation without referencing some TV show. I loved reading her experiences trying to get “cultured” and try new foods and activities. I was even motivated to sign up to volunteer and leave my cocoon of DVR goodness on a Saturday morning a couple weeks ago. It was crazy!

Enough about me, back to the book -  It’s a super quick read.  Most of the chapters are self-contained so it is easy to put down and then pick back up later. The only downside I can think of is that she covered a few of the storylines on her blog. Now, the book goes into much more detail, but I did find myself a couple times thinking “huh, I kinda know how this one ends.” Was it enough to make me stop reading her blog or her book? Absolutely not, but I just wanted to put that out there.

If you aren’t sure you’ll like it , (which I don't know why you would even think that - have I ever steered your wrong?) check out her blog. If you aren’t laughing within a few minutes of reading, then you don’t have our  fabulous sense of humor and probably won’t like the book. Otherwise – grab it and keep it in your summer bag for those days by the beach or waiting in line somewhere that serves delicious frozen coffee drinks with foreign names. I think you'll really like it.

Has anyone else read My Fair Lazy or her other books? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment